Tuesday, March 26, 2013

March Racing Madness Part 1

After missing the Long Play Half due to car troubles on the morning of the race, my March Racing Madness started with the Armadillo Classic 10K on the waterfront streets of Oldsmar with lots of Strider friends. (FYI: the Long Play race director was gracious enough to transfer my registration to next year's Long Play race!) Packet pickup had long lines, but they moved quickly and there were public bathrooms for those of us who have a phobia of port-o-potties. 

Hundreds of runners were there and apparently an abundance in my age group. While I did not get an age group award this year, I did have a great racing experience. I started off with my sis and a few friends, but slowly pulled ahead to get some alone time. As I passed a few others I knew, I made sure to say hello and offer some sort of encouragement. Somehow these encounters energize me as much as it may encourage others. I enjoyed the course as the sun warmed my poor icy hands (yeah I'm a Florida girl!). I kept a steady pace while making sure my sis did not slow down. I knew she had the strength and determination to finish with me. At the straight-away she pulled up next to me, in her speedy Brooks driven wagon, and powered ahead and crossed the finish line one second (count it) ahead of me. 

We heard the screams and cheers of so many people as we raced down the home stretch. I am so proud of my sister, making sure I told everyone that she beat me by one second. I will admit to NOTHING Rachel! She came away with an age group award and I went home empty handed, but we all need to be humbled by the ability of others and learn from it. When we do our best, but feel knocked down, we get back up, brush ourselves off, and celebrate other's accomplishments as if they were our own. With my sister, her accomplishment WAS my own. I felt like I won an award that day!

Florida Beaches Series Bling!!
FL Beach Halfathon was my second March race. While the bulk of our running group spent their morning on the streets of Sarasota, my brother Aaron and a few Striders enjoyed the sun rising behind the Sunshine Skyway Bridge - it was gorgeous. I finished the FL Beaches series (4 races) and have the bling to prove it. 

What other race director would fall and bust his eye open before the race even begins and refuse to go to the hospital? The answer is Chris Lauber. He has such a passion for the running community that he would sacrifice his own comfort to make sure his runners were cared for at the post-race party and awards ceremony! Thank you Chris for all that you do for the running community, despite other race directors infringing on your predetermined race dates. You are truly appreciated!! 

My brother, Aaron ran a PR by almost 4 minutes. After I finished my race and spoke to a few other Striders, I went back for him and found him running strong. We knew he was going to get a PR and I cheered him on all the way through the finishing line. Again, I found myself extremely proud of a sibling. He is creeping down in his race times and will see a sub-2:00 half in his future! We enjoyed an abundance of post-race nutrition while cheering on award winners before making that hour trek back home. 

LESSON: These two races showed me that I must take the time to focus on encouraging others in every aspect of life. As a result, I am energized and inspired by the accomplishments of others and he or she do not even know it was HIM or HER that encouraged ME! 

ENCOURAGE SOMEONE TODAY!!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for such nice words about Chris and our races. We SO appreciate your loyalty - it really is unfortunate that runners have to chose between 2 races in the same vicinity. Chris's black eye is slowly fading to a purplish-blue and should be OK in another week; there was no damage (yay!). LESSON: It could always be worse!

    ReplyDelete